Floating on the emerald water, Dau Go Island (Wooden Head Island) is amongst the most famous tourist attractions in Halong Bay. Inside Đầu Gỗ Island, tourists will find Đầu Gỗ Cave a very interesting cave.
>> Halong caves
2, Natural features
From afar, the cave entrance is a jellyfish look-alike 90 steps stair. Into the cave, a massive system of stalagmites and stalactites resembling stony waterfalls would make anyone feel like being one with the nature.
The cave has three main compartments. The first area has a curved shape which is filled up by natural light. The celling of this area is a giant oil painting describing primitive landscapes with rows of stalagmites and stalactites changing their color upon the intensity and angle of the light. Many tourists love letting their imagination go wild with all the light reflecting on those stalagmites and stalactites.
Passing the first area by going through a narrow entrance, tourists will get to the second part. It is a little bit lack of light, but it has a more intriguing ambiance of fuzzy picture formed by the harmonious combination of light and stalactites that stimulate your curiosity but also be a little bit creepy.
The adventure continues with a sudden discovery of the last massive. Here, there is a sacred fairy well that is said to be used by beautiful fairies descending from the heavenly kingdom.
Legends say that the name Đầu Gỗ (Wooden Head) originates from the victory of the Supreme Commander Tran Hung Dao (1228-1300) against Mongol invasion in the 13th Century on Bach Dang River by deploying booby traps of giant steel-tipped wooden stakes beneath the water. He found a away to hide all the stakes during high tides so that the Mongol could not see it. Later on, some of those wooden stakes flow to this cave and was discovered by the local people.
Dau Go Cave is proudly listed in the world famous tourism book Merveille de Monde published in France in 1938, which presents the most beautiful and worth visiting tourist attractions in the world, including Đầu Gỗ Cave under the name “Grotte des marveilles”